Daily Devotion in Psalm 30.

Daily Nugget:
Some commentaries suggest the Psalm 30 song was written when David completed a threshing floor. Others believe it was penned when he brought the Ark to Jerusalem. I usually, unless suggested not to by Scriptural statements, try to understand what is written literally. The title states that the Psalm was for the dedication of David’s palace, and it makes sense from what follows.

I can imagine how King David must have felt after fighting battles, facing defeats, and many victories. He must have been joyful and thoughtful on that occasion. The leader counted his many blessings and how God was responsible for all of them.

The leader was most grateful that God:

  • Took a little shepherd boy and made him a king (Psalm 30:1: “lifted me up”).
  • Gave him military triumphs and that his enemies never celebrated beating David and his armies (Psalm 30:1).
  • Healed him from apparently serious afflictions (Psalm 30:2-3).
  • Was so Holy and did not always give the king a taste of the Almighty’s wrath when David sinned (Psalm 30:4-5).
  • Allowed David to be prosperous (Psalm 30:6).
  • Allowed him and his kingdom to withstand trials and tribulations (Psalm 30:7).
  • Was there when David needed the Lord (Psalm 30:7).

David’s thankful heart should be a model for our gratefulness. God has done so much for us, even the ungodly, yet little recognition and appreciation are given to Him.

We should count our blessings from the Lord every day. We have much for which to be grateful. Let us give Him the praise He is due. Thank you, Lord!

Today’s Thought: 
Count Your Blessings
Hymn by Johnson Oatman

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Refrain:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Words to Understand:
Pit: a hole; prison; well; dungeon; fountain

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 30
1 A Psalm and Song at the dedication of the house of David. I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
6 ¶ And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.
7 LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication.
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
10 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149