Daily Devotion in II Corinthians 9

Daily Nugget: 
The Corinthian church at first had to be rebuked for their spiritual immaturity and sin in their ranks. Apparently, they dealt with the challenges, and the church was growing spiritually. Now, instead of needing more attention, they could help others.

Paul was sending brethren to their church (II Corinthians 9:3) and others to collect an offering to help other poorer saints. He originally told them about the offering in his previous letter to them (I Corinthians 16), and it was time for them to help others.

The preacher exhorted them to give “bountifully” (II Corinthians 9:6) and to give cheerfully (II Corinthians 9:7). He also reminded them that if they sowed “sparingly”, they “shall reap also sparingly”. If they gave “bountifully”, they would “reap also bountifully”. This is the secret to reaping the blessings of the Lord: giving with the right attitude.

As discussed in the II Corinthians 8 commentary, many are robbed of seeing God meet their needs because they will not step out by faith and give unto the Lord. Here it is made clear that if one gives little, they will have little help from the Lord.

Giving can be difficult for the Christian. It takes a great step of faith to give. When I was first saved, the Lord convicted my heart about giving. My argument to the Lord was one that many have used, “Lord, I make so little. If I give my 10% tithe, I will not make ends meet.”

At the time, I was a single parent. My food budget was $11 per week, but my tithe was $20. It was hard, but I gave faithfully every week. I soon could see something interesting in my weekly financial journal. My 10% tithe was slowly increasing. That meant that God had increased my salary as well. He was proving to me that he would meet my needs!

God will provide! Giving is a step of faith necessary to grow spiritually. The Corinthian church was no longer the “baby” church it was in I Corinthians. It was growing. Growth is always a sign of life, in this case, of spiritual life.

Christian, if you are not the baby believer you once were, it also time for you to come to the aid of the body of Christ. It is the responsibility of God’s people to finance the work of the local church. The church needs our finances to continue to function. Missionaries need our support, as well. It is time to grow, give, and see God meet your daily needs and help the cause of Christ!

Today’s Thought: 
“Little is much when God is in it.”

Word to Understand:
Base: a standard that is often used when making comparisons
Superfluous: not necessary

Today’s Reading:
II Corinthians 9
1 For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
2 For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
3 Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
4 Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
6 ¶ But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7 Every man according as he purposed in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
13 Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
14 And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149