Daily Devotion of Psalm 141

Daily Nugget:
David was a man of prayer. The prayer warrior had some important advice for others that also wanted their prayers to be heeded by the Holy God.

Like the burnt offerings and incense burned in the Tabernacle, David wanted his prayers to be a sweet savor (Gen. 8:20-21, Ex. 29:18, 40:25-28, Lev. 3:5) unto the Lord who heard them (Psalm 141:1-2). To have his prayers to be pleasant and heard of Him, David knew that he had to be obedient to God’s commandments. He purposed to keep himself as holy as he could.

David asked God to help him with the words that came out of his mouth (Psalm 141:3). We, too, must keep our promises, make our language glorifying to God, and never utter words that we will one day regret.

  • David asked that God would help him keep from doing wickedness (Psalm 140:4a).
  • David asked that he would not let the wickedness of the ungodly be duplicated in his life (Psalm 141:4b).
  • David purposed to heed the advice and rebukes of godly people (Psalm 141:5).
  • David asked God to help him discern the traps set by the ungodly that would cause him to fall away from following the Lord (Psalm 141:9-10).

The godly are daily surrounded by the ungodly (Ephesians 6:12). It is a battle to keep ourselves from the temptations that could pull us away from obeying God. Surrendering to what could get us further from God should never happen to a Christian. With God’s help, we can boldly and unashamedly come to Him in prayer and have our petitions answered.

Today’s Thought: 
“Between the humble and contrite heart and the majesty of Heaven, there are no barriers; the only password is prayer.” — Ballou

Words to Understand:
Gins: snares or traps

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 141
1 A Psalm of David. LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.
2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
4 Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties.
5 ¶ Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.
6 When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words; for they are sweet.
7 Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.
8 But mine eyes are unto thee, O GOD the Lord: in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.
9 Keep me from the snares which they have laid for me, and the gins of the workers of iniquity.
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets, whilst that I withal escape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149