Daily Devotion of Psalm 71

Daily Nugget:
Although the writer of this Psalm is not mentioned, it most likely is David as the speech is very similar to how he has written in the past. Whoever the writer is, he had one advantage that most do not have. From his youth, he had trusted God (Psalm 71:5, 17).

“For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.” Psalm71:5

Most likely, his start in trusting the Lord should be credited to his parents. Psalm 71:6 indicates he was prayed for even before he was born. Such training and godly influence at a young age surely contributed to his faithfulness and loyalty to the Lord. He was a person in the womb, not a lifeless “fetus” as abortionists have convinced themselves, and received love and concern before his birth. The prayers and guidance of his loved ones helped mold his future.
“By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.” Psalm 71:6

Godly influences and upbringing have quite a lot to do with how a person will live his life. At one time, however, it is the young person’s responsibility to take the godly examples and teachings and apply them to his life. This person did just that. He must have tested the principles he was taught and learned for himself that his training was correct; God really could be trusted for decisions, leadership, and guidance.
“O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.” Psalm 71:17

Unfortunately, most young people do not have praying parents and spiritual guidance. That is most likely why so many make the mistakes they have made. They never received the truths, promises, and advice preserved in God’s Word. Without the proper leadership, they floundered, did what they thought was right, and reaped the consequences of not having the Lord to guide them.

It is so important to be raised by godly principles and taught to trust one’s Creator. However, if there was no early-year spiritual training there still is no reason why one cannot change his life to be obedient to God’s commandments. We cannot always blame our parents; we can make right decisions, seek God’s wisdom, and choose to trust God’s Word and His leadership.

The young person in this verse had spiritual training. However, it was up to him to apply that learning in his life. Likewise, no matter our past we can also choose to obey God. It will not be long that after one obeys God’s advice and follows His leadership, that he will learn for himself that God can be trusted. At one point in everyone’s life, the decision to ignore or obey God becomes their responsibility.

Today’s Thought: 
I pray you so live, that when you stand over your child's dead body, you may never hear a voice coming up from that clay, "Father, your negligence was my destruction. Mother, your prayerlessness was the instrument of my damnation. — Spurgeon

Words to Understand:
Confounded: confused
Persecuted: suffer for a cause; stand firmly on principles that are contrary to other’s beliefs
Refuge: a safe place from danger
Resort: a place, philosophy, or person one can trust for protection and safety

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 71
1 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.
2 Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.
3 Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.
4 Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
5 For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.
6 By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.
7 I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge.
8 Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.
9 Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.
10 For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together,
11 Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for there is none to deliver him.
12 O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help.
13 Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt.
14 ¶ But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.
15 My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof.
16 I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.
17 O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.
19 Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things: O God, who is like unto thee!
20 Thou, which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
21 Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.
22 I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
24 My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149