Daily Devotion of Psalm 42

Daily Nugget:
“Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. 6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.” Psalm 42:5-6

One of the phrases I have heard many times is “God is good all the time!” If the times are good, He is great. If circumstances are hard and trying, He is still wonderful. God is always good to us and certainly better than any of us deserve.

It is easy to repeat that saying when you have a job, when all are healthy, and your future looks bright. However, can you still admit God is still good when you are in the valley of despair, with a gloomy report from the doctor, or when you do not know where the money will come from to pay current bills?

Are you “cast down” (Psalm 42:5, 11) when things do not go as well as you would like? Does depression cripple your spiritual life? Are your faith and hope dwindling?

Circumstances should never govern one’s emotions and spiritual level. We should remember what He has done for us in the past. Be we in a river (Jordan — Psalm 42:6), neighboring high mountains (Hermonites), or a smaller mountain (Mizar) we should never forget His mercy that we are so unworthy to receive. God is good whatever situation we are in or where we find ourselves.

If God heard and helped you in the past, He could do it again. His help is not based on what is owed or due us. It is given because God loves us, and He will “… never leave thee, nor forsake thee …” (Heb. 13:5).

With His children, finances do not limit His help, nor does His help halt when we reach retirement age. Our “warranty” with Him never expires. We may forsake Him, but He will always be there.
“I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” Psalm 37:25

Do not be cast down and discouraged. God is good. Help is just a prayer call away. Ask and wait patiently for his answer and help.

Today’s Thought: 
“When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you are slamming the door in the face of God.” — Allen

Words to Understand:
Billows: a large wave from the sea brought about by a wind or storm
Disquieted: restlessness, uneasy
Hart: a male deer
Hermonites: three peaks of Mount Hermon
Korah: a Levite who conspired against Moses
Maschil: Some think it may be a musical instrument or an instructive song
Mourning: Sad after the loss of a person
Mizar: a small mountain peak
Panteth: to want desperately, anxious breathing

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 42
1 To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
6 ¶ O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.
7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149