Daily Devotion of Psalm 142

Daily Nugget:
David often found himself in trouble. In this Psalm, he wrote recalled the time he had to hide in a cave. Perhaps, it was the cave, he and others hid in, in I Sam. 22:2.

Most can also relate to how he felt at that time. All will, or will sometime, feel the same as did David. Things were not looking up for him. His problems were overwhelming and seemed too much for him to bear.

However, whatever place or trial we find ourselves facing, we have someone we can turn to and to whom we tell all our problems, as did David. That great Listener is the holy God in Heaven.

We can unload our tribulations to the listening ears of a friend, but rarely will the person be able to solve the problem. Talking to God is different. He will listen and can do something about the situation.

Not only can we talk to God and have the situation handled the way God knows best, but we can tell Him all the details. Much of the time, when we tell others our troubles, there are some things we would not mention. God, however, knows and saw what troubled us, but he relishes our humbling ourselves to Him and telling Him everything (Psalm 142:2). We can pour all our burdens out before Him.
“I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.” Psalm 141:2

Today’s Thought: 
What A Friend We Have in Jesus
Hymn by Joseph M. Scriven, 1855 

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Words to Understand:
Maschil: A song one can learn something from

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 142
1 Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave. I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
4 ¶ I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.
5 I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.
7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149