Daily Devotion of Psalm 118

Daily Nugget:
This Psalm is filled with prophecies that were fulfilled. It speaks of the Messiah’s, Jesus, coming.

Some say on the fateful night that our Saviour was apprehended to be “judged” and to later be executed, that this was the hymn (Matthew 26:30) that He and His disciples sang. We also recognize that some of this Psalm was also quoted by Jesus.

Although there is spiritual and prophetical gold throughout this chapter, there are statements in this chapter that show the way of salvation for us today.The unknown Psalm writer states that there is a way to being righteous. That way was referred to as the “gate of the LORD.” Only through this entrance can anyone have their sins forgiven, forgotten, and have a future in Heaven and eventually on the New Earth.
“Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.” Psalm 118:19-20

Jesus Himself defines who that gateway is. It is not goodness, good works, religious rituals, or following man-made doctrine. The gateway to a heavenly eternity is Jesus. He declared He was the only way several times in the New Testament.
“Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:7-9
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6
“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5:1

Doing acts of kindness, following what a church declares one must do if it does not line up with God’s Word, being “religious,” and trying to be good may seem to some as the way to God’s approval and entrance to Heaven, but they are not. Those false “gates” are ways that lead to eternal destruction. Those ways are not the “door” to an eternal life with Jesus.
“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” Matthew 7:13-14

The ONLY way to an eternity with Him is to trust that Jesus’ death on the cross is the only payment that God will accept to forgive one’s sins. When one trusts Christ as their Saviour, the “door” to an eternity with Jesus will one day be opened to him.

Are you trusting only in Jesus to have an eternal future with Him?

Today’s Thought: 
“We are saved by someone doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves.” — Lester

Words to Understand:
Compassed: surrounded
Endureth: lasts

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 118
1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.
2 Let Israel now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
3 Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
4 Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
5 I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.
6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
7 The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.
8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
10 All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.
11 They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
12 They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
13 Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me.
14 The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.
15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.
18 The LORD hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.
19 ¶ Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:
20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.
21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
23 This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.
27 God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
28 Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
29 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149