Daily Devotion of Psalm 88

Daily Nugget:
Many Psalms start with the writer lamenting about the troubles he faced but end with remedies or help with his afflictions. This Psalm begins with gloom and ends with it as well.

Apparently, the writer had a serious affliction since his youth (vs. 15). Because of it, he faced:

  • many troubles and trials (vs. 3,)
  • what seemed to be death looming over him (vs. 3). Either he or others thought he was headed to Hell (“Sheol”) because the wrath of God seemed to be poured out on him (vss. 4-7, 16-17),
  • drained strength (vs. 4), 
  • abandonment by friends (vss. 8, 18),
  • attitudes of disgust by others over his condition (vs. 8),
  • lack of being able to get around (vs. 8),
  • depression because of his affliction (vs. 9).

Through all the psalmist’s tribulations, he cried (vs. 1) and prayed to His God (vss. 9, 13-14). He begged for God’s intervention, but it seemed none arrived. He was at the point that he thought that he had to wait for death to receive God’s help (vss. 10-12) and change his condition. He felt abandoned by the God he turned to and relied on (vs. 14).

What a hard life this man suffered through. The hardest part he most likely faced was the feeling of being abandoned by God. He is not alone. Many Christians facing tremendous illnesses and trials have also felt similarly.

Even Jesus felt he was abandoned in His time of great need. He too wondered if He was forgotten, but He was not. His great suffering was of great benefit to Himself and billions of others, although it may have been hard to see at the time of His pain.
“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Mat. 27:46 Also: Mar. 15:34.

Certainly, the great suffering of Christians today will not have such a wide-reaching effect on as many as Jesus’ suffering did, but our tribulations have a purpose. Our agonies may be part of the “cup” of suffering poured out on us for reasons only known to God.
“Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” Luke 22:42 
"He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.” Mat. 26:42 Also: Mat. 20:23, Mark 14:36.

We all have a “cup” of testing poured for us. We must all face what God allows us to experience. Our testimony through challenging times will ultimately be for our benefit and to help others who also may be facing adversity and will learn from our experiences.

Throughout my Christian walk, I have seen many go through tremendous difficulties. In most cases, the reason for their hardship was not known to them. However, how they handled the trials they were allowed to experience influenced many, including myself.

I recall the many physical adversities one woman is now facing. She is facing consequences of a rare form of diabetes, muscle difficulties, breathing problems, an array of odd ailments, kidney problems, many other challenges and she is all alone. Although she has days that are discouraging, she usually has a good attitude. She is not fond of the “cup” that is poured her, but she makes the best of the situations. She witnesses to others frequently, and I am sure she is an outstanding testimony to those that know of her circumstances. People will be more apt to learn one of life’s lessons when one has not folded under the heavy load of trials. They can and should be a light for other sufferers to follow.

Because of sin, there are so many terrible things that happen to even the innocent. It affects us all, and for that reason God hates iniquity. We all have sinned, although many are forgiven of those sins, sin still ravages this world, and its side-effects can even affect one’s health.

Going through unimaginable problems does not always mean one is being punished by God, as this psalmist thought. It often means God has a particular purpose for the one going through the trials. Pray for them because they certainly need God’s help and grace, but watching how they successfully manage adversity may be a shining example for you in the future.

Today’s Thought: 
It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness. — Seneca

Words to Understand:
Abomination: hated; disgusting; deplorable
Ezrahite: a title given to two sons of Zerah
Leannoth: seems to be some kind of unknown instrument.
Mahalath: Smith’s Bible Dictionary identifies a Mahalath as a type of lute.
Maschil: a Psalm of instruction

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 88
1 A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:
2 Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;
3 For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength:
5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.
6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.
7 Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah.
8 Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.
9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
10 ¶ Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah.
11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction?
12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
13 But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.
14 LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?
15 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted.
16 Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off.
17 They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together.
18 Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149