Daily Devotion of Psalm 63

Daily Nugget:
“A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;” Psalm 63:1
As in previous chapters in the Psalms, we learn of an attitude, priority, and practice all believers should adopt in their life. That spiritual habit should be to start one’s day with God on his mind and seeking His will and way — “… early will I seek thee ….”

We also notice that David ended his day meditating on the things of God. All through his day, he engulfed his thinking in the principles taught in the Word of God and what the Spirit of God was teaching and had taught him — from morning to night. It is more difficult to fall spiritually when one’s mind is constantly on God and His Word.
“When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.” Psalm 63:6

David understood this sin-soaked world has little to satisfy a spiritually-led believer. Whatever we see and whatever we hear most likely will not fulfill the needs and thirst a committed believer has for pleasing and living for God.

In this life, we are often in places where God is mocked and ridiculed. Rebellion to what He desires all His creatures to do is rampant. Holiness is far from most thinking. Surrounded by iniquity, the Holy Spirit is greatly grieved, as can be the heart of a believer. The only refuge a believer has from spiritual discouragement and ruin is to get his mind off what the world is doing and to keep his thoughts on the things of God.

Rather than letting the world continue to drain a Christ-follower of what his soul desires, he must occupy His thinking with God’s Word and the principles preserved in it. The believer needs to daily feed on biblical truths and promises.

Many never feed that need they have and find themselves spiritually starved and weak Christians. Church and good preaching are powerful and needful, but we must daily read and feed for ourselves.

This devotion was originally sent out daily to thousands of those looking to have some consistent input and influences from the Word of God. Every morning I get up at 5 AM and start sending it out to thousands of readers of www.OpenThouMineEyes.com and www.DevotionsFromTheBible.com. I know how important it is for believers to start their day with godly thinking and want them to be able to read a chapter a day from the Bible and learn something from it. Perhaps, it will help them through some of the ungodliness they will encounter during their day.

If one starts their day reading the Word of God, they are starting that day giving God a priority. That spiritual “breakfast” can arm them from the ungodly forces they may encounter that day. Start your day thinking about God and His truths.

Today’s Thought:
The study of God's Word, for the purpose of discovering God's will, is the secret discipline which has formed the greatest characters. — J. W. Alexander

Words to Understand:
Marrow: the soft part in the center of most bones; purpose
Sanctuary: a place of worship
Upholdeth: sustain, lift up in importance

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 63
1 A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3 ¶ Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7 ¶ Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.
9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.
11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149