Daily Devotion of Psalm 61

Daily Nugget:
“To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.” Psalm 61:1
David reveals an important ingredient that should be in more prayers — a cry. A “cry” is a desperate utterance, often accompanied by heartfelt tears.

Unfortunately, prayers are not the sincere pleas in times of distress they should be. For many, their prayers are more like a list a child hopes Santa Claus will fulfill. Their “prayer” usually goes something like: “Gimmee this and gimme that. Oh, yea. Bless Mommy, Daddy, Uncle Frank, and keep the bullies away. Oh Lord, could you give me an ‘A’ in Arithmetic.”

Sadly, “lists” are the most popular form of talking to God. Occasionally, one will open a prayer book and recite what someone else has written and labeled to be prayed in the situation one finds himself.

Prayer is us communicating with a Holy God. He owes us nothing, and we owe Him everything. It is an honor and privilege that we are even permitted to speak to our Creator. We should not dishonor him with empty, thoughtless, insincere pleas. Our conversation to Him can be like we have with no other person. We can tell Him everything on our heart. We can tell the Lord things we would dare not tell others. He is our God, and He desires conversation with His people.
“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.” Mat. 6:7

The words are not as important as our sincerity. God is more interested in the condition of our heart when we talk to Him. A sincere, real “cry” is showing Him that we are in desperate need and He is the only solution to our situation. He is seeing our reliance and dependence on Him, and that is what He wants.

Have real prayer time with God today! Talk to Him as if He is your best friend. He is!

Today’s Thought: 
When thou prayest, rather let thy heart be without words than thy words without heart. — Bunyan

Words to Understand:
Neginah: a stringed instrument

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 61
1 To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
5 ¶ For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.
6 Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations.
7 He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.
8 So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149