Daily Devotion of Psalm 57

Daily Nugget:
“My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.” Psalm 57:7
Psalm 57 reflects David’s gratefulness from God’s deliverance from the angry hands of King Saul (I Sam. 22-24). However, there is one verse (vs. 7) that should also be the character of every Christian. That trait should be “steadfastness”: a determination to go forward when uncertainty and fear loom ahead.

When being chased by the enemy, King Saul, David’s heart was fixed. He knew it was all under God’s control even as uncertain and fearful as his future was. David was steadfast in his trust and faith in the Lord. He knew somehow he would be delivered.

A Christian needs the same steadfast faith in what he faces. When the doctor gives a fearful prognosis, he will not doubt God or even shake his fist and blame his heavenly Father who knows all and has His plans for one. If a job is lost and the fear of financial failing seems eminent, God is still good, and He will work it out to His glory and one’s benefit. If a move seems inevitable and being in a new neighborhood and surroundings arises many unknown “what if’s,” God is still on His throne. One’s faith and trusts should not waiver. Reliance on the leadership of a loving God will keep one strong in times of doubt and uncertainty.

Being secure and firm in one’s convictions and trust in God’s promises will guide one through unknown tomorrows. It will be alright. God will work it all out as He has done many times in your past. He will do it again. Fear not!

A secure and anchored Christian will survive and prosper even through a frightening future. When all is bleak and uncertain, one’s heart will not surrender to the circumstances. He will ride over the storm-tossed waves and arrive safely where and when God wants him. All the while his heart will be encouraged and he will still sing praises to the one that will get him through the scary future.

Today’s Thought: 
None can believe how powerful prayer is, and what it is able to affect, except those who have learned it by experience. — Martin Luther

Words to Understand:
Altaschith: “destroy not”
Michtam: poem

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 57
1 To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave. Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.
2 I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.
3 He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.
4 My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.
5 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.
6 They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.
7 ¶ My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
8 Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.
9 I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.
10 For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.
11 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149