Daily Devotion of Psalm 56

Daily Nugget:
Fear is an emotion that all experience. David wrote about his fearsome feelings often. Here he is admitting that he was struggling with many things that made him afraid.

David daily faced enemies (vss. 1-2). Peace must have escaped him as he was often cautious and wary of attacks. Not knowing who or where he would be attacked, physically or mentally, would have most people on edge.

His enemies twisted his words around (“wrest”) — vs. 5. Quite often, I imagine, he had to defend himself from their convoluted remarks and slander, much like those that are currently hurled at President Trump. Much of what the president says is misinterpreted and bent to make him look bad to the public. David seemingly faced a similar battle with his opponents. Having what you have said being constantly misquoted and questioned would also have one on the alert and cautious.

His adversaries constantly watched what he was doing to find something that could be misconstrued as being wrong. He was under the intense scrutiny of many wanting him to fail or to find a weak point where he could be rebuked. In private meetings, his demise was often planned and talked about (vss. 6, 8).

In all that he faced and feared, his defense and many times his offense was the Lord. He had faced so many troubles and trials that he learned an invaluable lesson. One cannot handle most problems himself. David was determined to let go and let God handle his opposition. When he was afraid, it was the perfect time to trust God — again!
“What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.” Psalm 56:3

David’s fear subsided when he turned his troubles over for the Lord to handle. That is one thing all should know. We cannot handle most troublesome predicaments. We need help, and that help is, again, just a prayer call away.
“In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.” Psalm 56:11

Today’s Thought:
Don't try to hold God's hand; let Him hold yours. Let Him do the holding, and you the trusting. — Webb-Peploe

Words to Understand:
Jonathelemrechokim: the name of a melody
Michtam: poem

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 56 
1 To the chief Musician upon Jonathelemrechokim, Michtam of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath. Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.
2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.
6 They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.
7 Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.
8 ¶ Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9 When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.
10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.
11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
12 Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149