Daily Devotion of Psalm 51

Daily Nugget:
This song of David records a time in his life where the king had a broken, repentant heart. It occurred after the leader had been rebuked by Nathan, the prophet, for his sins of adultery and allowing the death of a woman’s husband (II Sam. 2:1-19).

King David’s sin, which he kept private, was made public by God’s prophet, and it broke David’s heart. Although he lived with the guilt of his sins, Nathan’s accusation changed the heart of the leader.

Most are also guilty of sin against God, but many hide it, forget about it, and never get it right with the Lord. David could not hide it any longer and did what every person in his situation should do. He was honest to himself how he sinned against God and repented of his sins.

Although so many when caught or exposed with their hands in the sin jar ignore guilty feelings (which may be the Holy Spirit bringing it to light so it can be dealt with) and justify it, David did not. Many say they are sorry, but there is never a change in their life. The leader’s admission of sin changed the King’s life.

David knew he had crossed the sin-line (“transgressions” — vss. 1,3) God forbade all to pass. He recognized he had committed unrighteous behavior (“iniquity”— vs. 2) and recognized his sin as “evil” (vs. 4). He knew he was responsible for the shed blood (“bloodguiltiness”) of Bathsheba’s husband. The leader recognized he could not take back the damage he had done, but he was so broken in spirit that he would never forget what he had done. All he could do then was to beg for God’s mercy (vs. 1) in dealing with the matter, and he did.

So many are sorry they got caught in their sins, but are not crushed nor repentant of what they did. From their actions and attitudes, it may appear that they would do it again; many do. However, when one is really grieved over how they sinned against God and others, their heart usually changes. When a heart is changed a life usually changes also.

All have sinned. We may be forgiven of them and have God’s forgiveness, but often our guilt is temporary and not life-changing. God is never fooled by false sincerity. He knows if we are really ashamed of what we have done and if we really mean to change our behavior to one that is pleasing to Him.

What truths does God know about how we feel about sinning against Him? Do we really intend to never let it happen again, or is our just a short flash of guilt that we will soon forget?

Today’s Thought: 
“God hath yoked to guilt a pale tormentor: misery.” — William Bryant

Words to Understand:
Bathsheba: a woman that David committed adultery with
Bloodguiltiness: guilty of murder, “blood on one’s hands”
Bullocks: young bulls
Evil: bad moral behavior that hurts and disturbs others because of a depraved, corrupt heart
Hyssop: aromatic herb
Iniquity: unrighteous behavior
Transgressions: crossing over the line of obeying moral laws and codes

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 51
1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 ¶ Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 ¶ Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149