Daily Devotion of Psalm 22

Daily Nugget:
Psalm 22 is the first of a three prophetic Psalms about Jesus. It describes some of what would happen at Christ’s crucifixion. Although some believe it may have been written about 1,060 years B. C., it is very accurate about what did happen to our Saviour.

Some of the foretold events about Jesus’ death, according to this chapter, include:

  • ”To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?” Psalm 22:1
    Jesus fulfilled it:
    “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Also: Mark. 15:34.
  • “All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.” Psalm 22:7-8It was fulfilled:
    “And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, 40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross … 43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.” Mat. 27:39-40, 43 Also: Luke 23:35.
  • “Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.” Psalm 22:12-13It was fulfilled:
    The “strong bulls of Bashan” were most likely referring to the Roman soldiers that abused and killed our Saviour.”
    “And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar,” Luke 23:36 Also: John 19:32, 34.
  • “My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.” Psalm 22:15It was fulfilled:
    “After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.” John 19:28-29
  • “For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.” Psalm 22:16 “Dogs” usually refers to Gentiles, and the Roman soldiers were Gentiles. Also, at the time this Psalm was written, there was no crucifixion and the Roman Empire was not even in existence. God certainly knew all that would happen when Jesus would die on that cruel cross in advance.
    It was fulfilled:
    “Then the soldiers, when they had Then the soldiers, when they had crucified [Crucifying included piercing of hands and feet] Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.” John 19:23
  • “And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.” John 19:37 This verse even reminds the reader it was prophesied, as it was quoting the Psalm’s prophecy.
    “They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.” Psalm 22:18It was fulfilled:
    “Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.” John 19:23 Also: Mat. 27:35, Luke 23:34.


There are certainly more fulfilled prophecies in this chapter than are listed above. What is showed in this brief study should convince anyone that Jesus death was previously planned by God. It is a fulfilled prophecy of our Saviour coming to this Earth and being a sacrifice for all our sins if the sinner will accept what was done for him.

Jesus’ last words on the Cross were, “…It is finished ...” (John 19:30) These prophecies in this Psalm and many more were completed. His work was finished.

Today’s Thought: 
“As He [Jesus] was suspended there [on the cross] between Heaven and Earth, He became the ladder let down from Heaven to this earth so that men might have a way to God.”
— J. Vernon McGee

Words to Understand:
Aijeleth Shahar: morning doe, perhaps a name of a song that this Psalm was to be chanted or sung as
Bulls of Bashan: a wild, strong bull from east of the Jordan. Although this prophecy was written before the Roman Empire was founded, it is referring to the Roman soldiers that helped crucify Jesus.

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 22
1 To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.
11 ¶ Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
22 ¶ I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations.
29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149