Daily Devotion of Psalm 13


Daily Nugget:
In Psalm 13, King David found himself in a position he had been previously (Psalm 10:1). Although he was an influential and powerful leader, he had his share of hard times. Some believe this Psalm was penned when he was fleeing from Saul.
“To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?” Psalm 13:1

No matter what the problem was, he felt what so many feel when they too are amidst tribulations. They wonder where God is in their time of need. Often people in that situation feel alone and abandoned by God.

Those in one of life’s storms believe if God was by their side that they would not be in the predicament. They feel that He would not want such a trial in their life.

I have heard many people question God when they find themselves in a similar situation. They often even ask why God would allow such an experience to befall them.

Much of the time my answer to these frightened people who believe God may have abandoned them in their hour of need is usually the same:

  • Are you really a child of God, as the Father in Heaven looks over His children? Our test may be lengthy and scary, but He knows what is happening in our life. He knows what is best for His children, although we may not.
  • We are strengthened and spiritually matured by trials. No godly, strong person got that way without going through difficult times. Difficulties should and can make a stronger Christian.
  • We are to draw nigh unto God when we are in tremendous need, not foolishly shake our fist and blame Him for allowing such a trial to happen.
    “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” James 4:8
  • Often our situation is from our sin or poor choices. God does not want us to sin because He loves us so much and does not want us to be hurt by any iniquity. That is why His Word warns us to not participate in it, but so often we do not listen.
  • Sin affects and hurts others. Often we reap the terrible consequences of someone else’s iniquity.

Often I remind them that all godly, biblical heroes had trials also. I reiterate to them how Moses, Jonah, Joshua, John, Noah, and even God’s only Son, Jesus, experienced hardships. The Bible is a history book of people’s adversities. We are certainly not greater than those Bible heroes, so we too can expect to have difficult valleys in our lives.

My favorite answer to those wondering why they are going through what they are comes from a comment Pastor Mickey Carter once made from the pulpit. The preacher reminded the congregation, “Why shouldn’t you go through hard times?” Some feel for some reason they are so special that nothing “bad” should ever happen to them.

We are in a world scarred by sin. It is the root of most difficulties and hardships in this world today. The wages of Adam and Eve’s sin affects all even today.

It is a scary feeling when we feel we are all alone and forsaken by God. Christian, do not fall for those crippling thoughts. God promises never to leave or forsake you. You are a child of God, and He is the best parent. He will take care of you.
“Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Heb 13:5

Today’s Thought:
God Will Take Care of You
Hymn by Civilla Martin, 1904

Be not dismayed whate’er betide,
God will take care of you;
Beneath His wings of love abide,
God will take care of you.

Refrain:
God will take care of you,
Through every day, o’er all the way;
He will take care of you,
God will take care of you.

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 13
1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149