You Cannot Work Your Way to Heaven

It seems natural to many people, that if they do good works and deeds, God will be
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
pleased and let them into Heaven.  Although there are many scriptures encouraging people to be less selfish and concentrate on meeting the needs of others, nowhere is it mentioned that those good deeds will get anyone to Heaven. The Bible declares that there is nothing we can do but trust Christ as Saviour to have a heavenly home.

God’s way for us to see Heaven is that innocent blood had be shed to have our sins forgiven.  The only payment God will accept for all of a sinner’s iniquities is the sacrificial death of God’s only son, Jesus.   No one can achieve Heaven for what they have done, but for what Christ had done for them.  Jesus is the only way to Heaven.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6

Although good works will not get anyone higher than the coffin lid, a Christian is to do good works. He is to do them, not to earn Heaven, but to be a good Christian example.  We should be a blessing to others because we love the Saviour, and want to be obedient to His commandments.  When we shine our Christian “light” others may see God’s goodness and will also turn to Him.
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Mat. 5:16“This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.” Titus 3:8 Also: Heb. 10:24, I Tim 2:10, I Tim. 5:10, I Tim. 6:18, II Tim. 3:17, Titus 1:16.

 “I am not a Christian because I am strong and have it all figured out.  I am a Christian because I am weak and admit I need a Saviour.”  — Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149