Daily Devotion of Psalm 144


Daily Nugget:
“My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.” Psalm 144:2  Also: Psalm 18:2, II Sam. 2:23.
An obedient, walking-with-the-Lord Christian has little to fear.  Psalm 144:2 points out seven helps upon which God can be relied.  They applied to David and his people, and they are available to today’s believers also.

The provisions of the Lord include:

  1. He is good.  We do not desire the blessings God dumps on his faithful followers, but because of His merciful love, He bestows so much on us. We would not have anything if it was not for His generosity!
  2. He is our fortress.  Like biblical fortresses, God is a protector of all within His family — the family of God.  No one can get through God’s mighty fortification, unless, for His reasons, He allows them.
  3. He is our high tower.  Many fortresses had at least one high tower in them.  One could see far away troubles or enemies that were coming from a perch inside a high watch tower.  Our God sees in advance what dangers are headed our way.  Nothing that can happen to us is a surprise to Him.  He sees our future, and more than we will ever know this side of Heaven, protects His own from oncoming perils.
  4. He is our deliverer.  He can get us out of the troubles we find ourselves facing. 
  5. He is our shield. This protection, used in battle, keeps a warrior safe.  Whatever is hurled at the Christian soldier will be diverted by the protecting God.
  6. He can be trusted.  When all fail our expectations, God is the one that will always be there for us.  He promises never to leave or forsake His own."I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” Psalm 37:25  Also: Heb. 13:5.
  7. He can overcome (“subdueth”) all that wish us harm.

Rehearsing all that God can be to those that are faithful and obedient to Him, should remove all fear one may have.  Our God-given securities should encourage those trusting in Him. Nothing can happen to God’s own, unless He allows it, and in those cases, it is best for the person at that time.
“The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” Psalm 18:2

Words to Understand:
Subdueth: win over; overcome, conquer

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 144
1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.
3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
4 Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away.
5 Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
6 Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them.
7 Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliver me out of great waters, from the hand of strange children;
8 Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
9 ¶ I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.
10 It is he that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword.
11 Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood:
12 That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace:
13 That our garners may be full, affording all manner of store: that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets:
14 That our oxen may be strong to labour; that there be no breaking in, nor going out; that there be no complaining in our streets.
15 Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149