Daily Devotion of Psalm 138


Daily Nugget:
“A Psalm of David. I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.” Psalm 138:1
There is an unusual phrase in the first verse of this Psalm.  The phrase is “… before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.”  There is only one God.  It is our Creator, our Saviour, and our Deliverer.  There are no other “gods,” so whom is David referencing here?

All Christians are surrounded by those who put faith in false gods.  For some, it is many of 33 million “gods” and “goddesses” of Hinduism.  Others have made the false, unbiblical teachings of cults, some even claiming to be Christian, their “gods” they follow and obey. Many claim not to have any trust in any “god,” but they rely on things, and money to be what they put at high esteem.

We are encompassed by false beliefs everywhere we. David realized this fact.  Knowing he was outnumbered by heathens and not able to talk to most about the Lord, the King made his beliefs public when he had the opportunity.

When the weather was good, and the crops were bountiful, David made it public that God was the one that blessed the harvest and the weather. After being successful in battle, he gave God credit for the triumph. When prayers were answered, David praised the Lord for what He had done.  He made an effort to make the ungodly aware that there was a God in Heaven blessing him and helping His people.

We, too have such a responsibility.  The world is discouraged by “God is dead” nonsense, and never hearing anything positive and anything to substantiate that God is alive and still working in lives. They have not been taught about our mighty God and have not been made aware of what He is doing in our lives today.

The unsaved have heard watered-down statements about how there is a God, but they never have seen any proof of His working.  An appreciative Christian can change their ignorance.  He can make it known to the lost world that God is alive and working in the lives and hearts of man daily.

Before I was saved, I am ashamed to admit it, my speech was often tainted by filthy, four-lettered words. It was a vocabulary that the world was used to hearing and never raised an eyebrow over my obscene language.  After I got saved, I was quickly rebuked by the indwelling Holy Spirit that I should not be speaking those words.

Rather than utter filth, I was convicted of using the voice God gave me to praise His name, rather than curse it.  No matter who I was with, or where I was, almost every other paragraph had, and still does, have a few words praising the Lord for what He did.

When in board meetings with top management, I “praised the Lord” when they mentioned that earnings were improved.  The plumber heard a “praise the Lord” when he fixed a leaking pipe. After waiting in a McDonald’s line to give my order, I politely say, “Praise the Lord, it’s my turn.” The woman taking my on-line order also heard my “Praise the Lord.”  I look for every opportunity I can to give the credit to God.

I wonder how many people have never heard God given any credit for what He had done.  What must they think when they hear a stranger give the God in Heaven credit for what He did?   Many must be reminded that there is a God, and He is doing something in someone’s life.  “Why isn’t He doing anything in my life?” They may have wondered.  Who knows where their thought process journeyed?  However, praising God puts Him at the forefront of their minds.

We, like David, are surrounded by those that do not worship the only living God.  They must hear that He is alive and doing well in lives.  We must tell them.  We can start by unashamedly pronounce that He is alive and still working.

Today’s Thought: 
“Praise is the rehearsal of our eternal song.”  — Spurgeon

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 138
1 A Psalm of David. I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
3 In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.
4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O LORD, when they hear the words of thy mouth.
5 Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the LORD: for great is the glory of the LORD.
6 ¶ Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
8 The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149