Daily Devotion of Psalm 81

Daily Nugget:
Although Psalm 81:8-16 reminds Israel of their sin against God, it is a chilling wake-up call of what can happen to Christians today. When believers get to the point they neglect God’s Words and do what they want, as did Israel, God may give them over to their demise.
“But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.” Psalm 81:11-12

Romans 1 also recorded some in the early church with a similar “I’ll do what I want” attitude. Since some of the early Christians were determined to do their own will and way, God also gave them “gave them up” (Romans 1: 24,26, 28) to their sin. The ungodliness of those Romans worsened, and God let them reap the terrible consequences of their iniquities. In Romans 1:27-31, one can read how progressively more vile and immoral their iniquities became when God stopped His intervention, and they reaped the awful wages of the sins they had sown. It is a fearsome time in one’s life when God’s helping hand is withdrawn from one’s life.

Both early Israel and the early church learned that God would not force Himself or His way on people. He does not want puppets that do what He wants. God desires to have one love Him as much as He loves them. With that kind of relationship, the believer will gladly do all they can to please their heavenly Father.

There are times that God’s warnings halt, and He allows sinners to reap what they have sown. However, that is not God’s desire. He wants to bless and help His followers, but God will not tolerate wanton sin.
“I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.15 The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever. 16 He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.” Psalm 81:14-16

Rebellious sinners believe they are in control of their life and believe getting what they want will make them happy. Unfortunately, they unknowingly are missing real joy and a safer, fulfilled life of obeying God’s will and way. Father knows best, despite what the sinner believes.

Today’s Thought:
God hates the sin, but He loves the sinner.  — D.L. Moody

Words to Understand:
Gittith: a musical instrument played in Gath or an indication that this hymn should be sung to the tune of another popular song
Meribah: a fountain Moses named that was in the Desert of Sin

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 81
1 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of Asaph. Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.
2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
3 Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day.
4 For this was a statute for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob.
5 This he ordained in Joseph for a testimony, when he went out through the land of Egypt: where I heard a language that I understood not.
6 I removed his shoulder from the burden: his hands were delivered from the pots.
7 Thou calledst in trouble, and I delivered thee; I answered thee in the secret place of thunder: I proved thee at the waters of Meribah. Selah.
8 ¶ Hear, O my people, and I will testify unto thee: O Israel, if thou wilt hearken unto me;
9 There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god.
10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!
14 I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.
15 The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever.
16 He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149