Daily Devotion of Psalm 59

Daily Nugget:
“Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men. 3 For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul: the mighty are gathered against me; not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O LORD.” Psalm 59:2-3
Readers of this Psalm are made aware of other’s attempts on David’s life. That scenario is not unusual as the Psalms are examined.

This account in chapter 59 references when King Saul’s spies were watching younger David for an opportunity to kill him. It is referring to the attempt mentioned in I Samuel 19:11-21, where people, at least five times, were sent to keep their eye on David.

In verse three, we are made aware of something all Christians must be wary of today. Many are always watching us and how we live our lives. Their reasons for skeptically watching believers is not because of what wrong things Christians have done, but what they were taught to believe was done or is being done by Christ-followers.

David’s observers were watching him to kill him, but not because of something horrible he had done, not for his “transgressions” nor his “sin” (vs. 3). Their eyes were on David because King Saul was jealous of the future leader’s success and popularity.

Many, especially in recent years, are angry at Christians not for what the believers have done to them, but what has falsely been taught about the believers. The liberal media, government education, and those ignorant of what Christians believe have tainted the minds of those that do not know the truth about Christ-followers, nor God and His word.

A negative outlook on Christianity is growing throughout the world, as the ungodly believe they want a society that can do whatever it wants. Their goal is to change the world to a global one where all live, think, believe, and obey what a new government wants them to believe. They can only accomplish this by removing any mention, thought, or guiltiness on what God identifies as sin.

Today, many are attempting to create a society where none offend others when they sin by enforcing politically-correct speech and force people to accept what many inherently know is wrong behavior. Some may publically stifle their judgments. However, sinful behavior is still known to be wrong by many.

Those involved in sin can attempt to change other’s behaviors, but they often harbor guiltiness over their sin. The only way those people can live with their gnawing guilt is to change or eliminate those whose behaviors remind them of their sin and identifies it by what it is, a violation of God’s commandments. They would rather silence or get rid of the messenger rather than live righteously.

As in David’s case, when the King saw or thought of David, his sin of jealousy raged. David said nothing to aggravate the leader, but guiltiness still haunted Saul.

Those involved in unrighteousness often attempt to eliminate those that make them feel bad or do not approve of their lifestyle. Often they attempt even to silence those that remind them of their iniquities. However, the wages of sin will always reap havoc on those committing the offenses against God. They will not have peace until they are right with God and halt their sin.

King Saul could have avoided much bitterness and unhappiness if he had turned from his sin and gotten his iniquity right with God and David. All sinners can also miss having their life ruined by sin if they will be saved and have the Lord help them in halting their transgressions.

Today’s Thought: 
He was a fool who killed the watchdog because it alarmed him when thieves were breaking into his house. If conscience upbraids you, feel its rebuke. It is your best friend. — Spurgeon

Words to Understand:
Altaschith: “destroy not”
Michtam: a poem

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 59
1 To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David; when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him. Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me.
2 Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men.
3 For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul: the mighty are gathered against me; not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O LORD.
4 They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake to help me, and behold.
5 Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah.
6 They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.
7 Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, doth hear?
8 ¶ But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.
9 Because of his strength will I wait upon thee: for God is my defence.
10 The God of my mercy shall prevent me: God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.
11 Slay them not, lest my people forget: scatter them by thy power; and bring them down, O Lord our shield.
12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.
13 Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah.
14 And at evening let them return; and let them make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.
15 Let them wander up and down for meat, and grudge if they be not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.
17 Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149