Daily Devotion of Psalm 39

Daily Nugget:
Often people have a way of blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. Instead of examining their behavior and reason for making the decisions they did, some find an excuse, usually another person, for why they did what they did.

David, however, examined and knew his own heart. He knew for what he was responsible. He knew who was guilty and who had to change — himself.

In all but two verses (vss. 6, 11), he honestly admitted to himself and others what he had done and his own shortcomings. The pronoun “I” was used 16 times. Sometimes “me” or “my” were used. He was quite aware of what he had done.

David admitted:

  • He had sinned with his tongue (vs. 1).
  • He needed to be careful about what he said (vss. 1, 3).
  • He knew he was silent many times when he should have spoken out (vss. 2, 9) for righteousness. His heart was grieved when he committed such negligence of responsibility.
  • His weaknesses (vss. 4, 5).
  • He knew his only hope was for the Lord to deliver him from the consequences of his transgressions (vs. 8).
  • He recognized God was chastising him for his iniquities (vss. 10-11, 13).


He gave his life an honest evaluation and knew his shortcoming. If one does not admit his weaknesses and flaws in behavior and character to at least himself, as did David, there will never be any change. When one denies what he has done, it will then be “someone else’s fault,” and there will not be any improvement.

If you want to change your life, first be honest with yourself. Confess why you did what you did, and then apologize to God for your shortcomings and seek His help.

Today’s Thought: 
“It does not spoil your happiness to confess your sin. The unhappiness is in not making the confession.” — Spurgeon

Words to Understand:
Bridle: a restraint put around an animal’s mouth
Jeduthun: He was a leader involved in the music for worship. Some think that he may have written the music for this Psalm.

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 39
1 To the chief Musician, even to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David. I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.
3 My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,
4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.
5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.
6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
7 ¶ And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.
9 I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it.
10 Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.
11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.
12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149