Daily Devotion of Psalm 38


Daily Nugget:
Psalm 38 reveals King David in a position we all face or should deal with at least once in our lives. It is a time that we realize we are in sin, far from what God wants us to be doing, and deserving of His strong rebuke (vss. 1-3).

So many overlook their sinful condition and get hardened to it. Their conscience is seared and their offense against God does not bother them anymore. However, some, as was David, are honest with themselves, sensitive to Holy Spirit’s tugging at their heart, and are aware of their unrighteousness.

It is possible that David was at the “bottom of His barrel” and looking up for God’s help because of an illness or injury He believed was allowed to afflict him by His chastening God. David wrote that his wounds stunk (vs. 5) because of something he did that was foolish. He also revealed that it resulted in a weakening disease (vss. 7-8, 10 ) to his body. Whatever afflicted him was so loathsome that those close to him stayed at a distance from him (vs. 11).

No matter how David got in the position he found himself, his conviction for his sin and disobedience to God’s commandments nagged at his conscience. His recollection of what he had done was a “heavy burden” (vs. 4). He was heavily troubled without peace and mourned over his wrong-doing continually (vss. 6, 8). The leader knew that the Spirit of God tried to prevent him from going down the path he chose, but David ignored (vs. 13 — “I, as a deaf man”) His pleadings to his heart.

Many get to the point David found himself. Their past haunts them. They are troubled by their sin and are endlessly gnawn at by their guilt.

Those troubled souls can do one of two things. They can heed the troubling Spirit, confess to God of their iniquity, stop, and turn away from their wickedness (repent). Those with such a broken spirit as David found himself have the possibility of changing their sinful direction and going on as a new different person.

The other choice that too many make is to ignore the pleadings of the Holy Spirit and continue in a direction they will one day regret. After making the wrong choice by ignoring God’s prodding, their heart will be hardened to future hearing of the Holy Spirit’s calling.

When one gets to the point that they are attentive to how they have sinned against such a Holy God, they need to swiftly admit their sin, repent from their wrong-doing, and be obedient to what the Lord has encouraged them to do. They may not have a second chance to do so. Their ignoring of the convicting voice of the Holy Spirit may result in no further communication from Him.

If you have ignored what the Holy Spirit has spoken to your heart to do, do it now. You may not have another opportunity to get it right with your Creator! One day you will regret your disobedience to the Lord’s allowing you to turn to Him and away from iniquity.

Today’s Thought: 
“Let the ground of all religious actions be obedience; examine not why it is commanded, but observe it because it is commanded. True obedience neither procrastinates nor questions.” — Quarles

Words to Understand:
Adversaries: enemies
Iniquities: sins
Kinsmen: a member of same race or family
Loathsome: extremely disgusting
Rebuke: correct, chastise

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 38
1 A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance. O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.
3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.
4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.
6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.
8 I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.
9 Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee.
10 My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.
11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.
12 ¶ They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.
13 But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
14 Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.
15 For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.
16 For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.
17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.
18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.
19 But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.
20 They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good is.
21 Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.
22 Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149