Daily Devotion of Psalm 28

Daily Nugget:
Since man’s beginning, most have known many of God’s commandments but chose to “do their own thing.” David observed sinful behavior during his reign and knew those people should not get away with their rebellion against God.

To those ungodly, it may have appeared they were getting away with their iniquities; no lightning bolt zapped them from Heaven. However, David knew a principle about sin that cannot be avoided; payday for sin will come someday. David knew God would deal with their crimes against Him, and he did not want to be anywhere near them when God’s wrath was poured out upon them (vs. 3).

The king was wise enough to know that the words of those enemies towards him and God could not be trusted. Their speeches and actions may have seemed innocent and harmless to many, but David was aware it was a smokescreen to cover up their plan to commit sin (vs. 3 — “mischief is in their hearts.”). He asked the Lord to unleash His judgment on them for their sin.

King David wanted them to reap the consequences of their deeds (vs. 4). The leader knew of their mischiefs and did not want them to get away with it.

Most saved people know what is right and wrong. The indwelling Holy Spirit convicts them of their sins and helps them. That conviction also opens their eyes to see sin around them. They have learned how iniquity has hurt them and how it injures others. With this enlightenment and dislike for rebellion against God’s commandments, they also want it stopped elsewhere.

Often hands are tied not to halt surrounding sin publically, but they know One that can and will put an end to wrong-doing. It is the One that ultimately the sin is against. They can, as did David, go to God to put an end to sin that they cannot control.

Today is not much different than the days of David. There is sin all around us: in our neighborhood, place of business, schools, and government. Our responsibilitiesare to be saved, live a life pleasing to God, and to be a good, Christian testimony for those around us.

Our attempts to stop iniquity that surrounds us may be limited, but sin can be stopped. We can go to our God, as did David, and pleas for His intervention to “heal our land.”

Today’s Thought:
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14

Words to Understand:
Anointed: a chosen person; a consecrated person as a king, priest, child of God.
Endeavours: efforts; work
Iniquity: evil, wickedness, trouble
Oracle: the innermost part of a place of worship
Supplications: sincere, earnest prayers

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 28
1 A Psalm of David. Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.
2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.
3 Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.
4 Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.
5 Because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.
6 ¶ Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
8 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.
9 Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149