Daily Devotion of Psalm 3


Daily Nugget:
A title placed at the beginning of this Psalm shows the reader this was a song written after   His son, Absalom, and others wanted David’s throne and attempted to have the leader killed.  The mighty ruler feared for his life.
King David experienced a great tragedy in his life.

Many around him thought there was no hope, even from God. However, David knew better. He recalled God’s protection for him in the past, and he knew the Lord would do it again.

Israel’s leader knew that the Lord was his protector and nothing could harm him unless it was God’s will. He also knew that although the trial looked hopeless, at the end God’s will would be done in the king’s life and God would get the glory.

With this confidence, King David lost no sleep over the matter. His trust was fully on his Lord.

After waking, and discovering that he was protected from harm that could have happened to him during the night, David was more encouraged. He knew that even if his enemies were ”tens thousands of people,” he would still be safe if it was God’s will and with His help.

The fleeing king knew that God could easily administer a knock-out punch (“… smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone …”). His savior from harm’s way could also loosen the devouring “bite”  (“… broken the teeth …”) the enemy had on him.

David’s heartbreak from his son and his son’s desire for the king’s life taught the leader a lesson all believers must learn.  We should realize that God can and will protect His own.  

If He has done it in the past, He can do it again!  With this confidence, we too should be able to rest comfortably even in adversity.

Today's Thought:
The  God inside you is bigger than the giant in front of you.

Words to Understand:
1.     Salvation: This “salvation” is not referring to being saved from Hell, as it often means in the New Testament.  It is deliverance from adversity.
2.     Selah: stop and meditate on these things, a musical rest
3.     Sustained: to keep alive and protected, a help.

Today’s Reading:
Psalm 3
1  A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son. LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4  I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion in Psalm 150

Daily View Devotion in Psalm 148

Daily Devotion in Psalm 149